Performance on Local Database vs Remote Database (on same network)

Performance on Local Database vs Remote Database (on same network)

Gustavo Dias Duarte Ramos

Hi there guys,

We’re currently running our CI builds and SonarQube (v4.3) on separate machines (but on the same virtual network. They’re VMs on the same host). Our Preview/Analysis takes somewhere between 7 to 9 minutes. I’ve recently stumbled on SONAR-2119 (Analysis must not connect to database) but since this is bumping from version to version since last year I’m not so confident to see this resolved on v5.2.

Question is: Would I see any performance gain if I put SonarQube’s database on the CI server (where the analysis is ran) instead of running it on SonarQube’s server ? As the servers are currently on the same network (and even on the same virtual machine host) I would doubt it, but it is better to ask anyway J.

We have a pretty big ruleset, quality profile (with FindBugs enabled) and 1500+ unit tests (suite takes ~5min to run). Is this “normal” and I’m being too picky or would I be benefited changing the database from one server to another ?  I’m using MySQL here.

Thanks a lot!

--

Gustavo Ramos

Industrial IT Solutions

Tel: + 55 (31) 3238-1600
Direto: + 55 (31) 3238-1676

______________________
Chemtech | A Siemens Business
www.chemtech.com.br

Antes de imprimir, pense se não é um gasto desnecessário de papel. Pense em sua responsabilidade e compromisso com o meio ambiente.

As informações existentes nessa mensagem e nos arquivos anexados são para uso restrito, sendo seu sigilo protegido por lei. Caso não seja destinatário, saiba que leitura, divulgação ou cópia são proibidas. Favor apagar as informações e notificar o remetente. O uso impróprio será tratado conforme as normas da empresa e a legislação em vigor.

The information contained in this message and in the attached files are restricted, and its confidentiality protected by law. In case you are not the addressee, be aware that the reading, spreading and copy of this message is unauthorized. Please, delete this message and notify the sender. The improper use of this information will be treated according the company's internal rules and legal laws.

Re: Performance on Local Database vs Remote Database (on same network)

Julien HENRY
Hi Gustavo,

Please provide logs of the analysis (in debug mode) so that we can try to understand where the time is spent.

++

Julien

[...]

Hi there Julien,

Sorry for the delay. I’ve attached our execution log so you can check it;

Thanks!

--

Gustavo Ramos

Industrial IT Solutions

Tel: + 55 (31) 3238-1600
Direto: + 55 (31) 3238-1676

SonarLog.txt (294K) Download Attachment

Re: Performance on Local Database vs Remote Database (on same network)

Julien HENRY
Hi Gustavo,

Sorry for late answer. According to your logs most of the time is spent in Java source file analysis. This is not dependent on database. 1 min to scan 480 files seems very slow (I suppose your Java files are not too big). Your should try to attach a tool like JVisualVM to find if you are CPU/memory/disk IO limited.

++

Julien