Quality Profiles - Copying From One Instance to Another

Quality Profiles - Copying From One Instance to Another

Kyle Smith
Hi SQ Users,

I am trying to move from one installation of SonarQube to another. One of the Quality Profiles for the Java language has a hundreds of rules configured in-house. Is there a way I can copy this unique Quality Profile to the new instance?  I have a feeling it is going much more complex than Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Is there a way to load this into the new database from the previous database.

Please let me know if this does not make sense to you.  Basically, I want to copy all of the rules for the checker from one instance of SonarQube to a different one. I did not read anything about this on the official documentation here: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Quality+Profiles

Re: Quality Profiles - Copying From One Instance to Another

G. Ann Campbell
On the page listing the existing profiles, use the "Back up" link to generate the rules out to a file. (Note that things like inheritance aren't included in this file, it's just the rules and their severities & parameters.) Then you'll be able to use the "Restore Profile" option to import the profile on the target server.

:-)
Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM, What_Just_Happened <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi SQ Users,

I am trying to move from one installation of /SonarQube/ to another. One of
the *Quality Profiles* for the Java language has a hundreds of rules
configured in-house. Is there a way I can copy this unique *Quality Profile*
to the new instance?  I have a feeling it is going much more complex than
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Is there a way to load this into the new database from the
previous database.

Please let me know if this does not make sense to you.  Basically, I want to
copy all of the rules for the checker from one instance of /SonarQube/ to a
different one. I did not read anything about this on the official
documentation here: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Quality+Profiles

Re: Quality Profiles - Copying From One Instance to Another

Kyle Smith
Ann,

Thank-you for the reply. This is helpful information. I was able to transfer the rules without issue. Although, I noticed that a few rules did not make the jump but I am assuming that this is because they are obsolete or something and are not going to be found on the latest version of SonarQube as of this writing.

Respectfully,

Re: Quality Profiles - Copying From One Instance to Another

G. Ann Campbell
I'm curious which rules didn't make the jump. If you've still got the data available, could you let me know which ones it was (or rather, wasn't :-)?

Thx,
Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource