Re: Need a tutorial

Kedar Dixit-2
Hi,
I stumbled across the Sonar website when I was looking for some tools for implementing automated code formatting/checking tools in java. We currently have a scenario where we are supporting a lot of web applications and frequent change controls associated with these applications. I feel implementing Sonar for these applications would help us reduce problems/defects and improve our overall productivity. However, I am looking for a basic tutorial that can guide me through the process of implementing/applying Sonar to our existing codebase. (Something like step-by-step instructions). I know this sounds pretty basic, but any help would be gladly appreciated.

(One instance is, how I can apply custom checkstlyes (client provided checkstyles in Sonar)

Thanks a lot for your help and time with this!
Regards,
Kedar

Re: Re: Need a tutorial

Cédric Munger-2
Hi,

Well the "installation guide" referenced on the sonar doc page (http://sonar.hortis.ch/documentation/1_1/) should help you.
It should only require a few mins to start to use sonar (see "The 2 Minutes tutorial"), as long as the projects you want to monitor are under maven.

Concerning your custom rules question you can import your own checkstyle or pmd config files to create a Sonar rules profile.
Go to http://localhost:9000/rules_profile and click on the "Create New Profile" button (you'll need to login with default user/pass sonar/sonar)
Once you sonar rules profile has been created click on the activate button and your done, the next "sonarized" project will use you own defined rules.

Feel free to ask more questions :)

Regards

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Kedar Dixit <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot Cedric! I guess I shall have to install Maven before I start using Sonar! I shall do that and keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks again,
Kedar

On 3/26/08, Cédric Munger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Well the "installation guide" referenced on the sonar doc page (<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://sonar.hortis.ch/documentation/1_1/" target="_blank">http://sonar.hortis.ch/documentation/1_1/) should help you.

Go to <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://localhost:9000/rules_profile" target="_blank">http://localhost:9000/rules_profile and click on the "Create New Profile" button (you'll need to login with default user/pass sonar/sonar)
[...]

Well indeed you'll first have to install maven. I Guess that your projects are not under maven control. Migrating from ant or whatever build system to maven could be quite a long job. If you want to give it a quick try on one of your projects, you can run sonar in "light" mode.
See http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Administration+guide+%28v.+1.1%29 chapter "Non maven projects", you'll loose code coverage and unit tests metrics but it will be definitely easier.

Regards

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Kedar Dixit <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Size of data over time stored in DB

Elyes Alouini

Hi,

   Do you have any idea on how the DB size evolves over time in Sonar assuming we approximately have the same number of classes/packages in the analysed project?

We plan to include Sonar in our nightly build process (cruise control) and we want to know the necessary hard disk space required by Sonar. Currently, one sonar snapshot i.e. a single execution in our project stores ~ 600 MB of data in the DB.

Many Thanks

Elyes Alouini

Software Quality Officer

IBA PT

Tel:    +32 10 497 512

Fax:  +32 10 475 986

www.iba-worldwide.com

At IBA, our mission is to Protect, Enhance and Save Lives.”

[...]

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for
the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Size of data over time stored in DB

Simon Brandhof-3
Hi Elyes,

Database volumetry is actually an important criterion to consider.
They are globally two types of data : high-level measures for time
machine (all measures at project level, displayed on the dashboard)
and low-level measures displayed on breakdown pages (measures and rule
violations at class level). Those last ones are automatically purged
to keep only last day data.

Here are some statistics of our MySQL5 database for 80 projects
(various size, from simple libraries like commons-lang to big
enterprise tools like cocoon or jackrabbit) :
- high level measures : 200 Mo / month
- low level measures : 1'800Mo (constant in time), match 162'000 java files.
Those values includes data and index sizes.

Regards,
Simon

FAQ is updated : http://sonar.hortis.ch/documentation/1_2/