Stuck analysing, add index on RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS.RULE_FAILURE_ID

Stuck analysing, add index on RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS.RULE_FAILURE_ID

Robin Cohen
I'm just getting started with Sonar 1.1 on an Oracle 10g database.  I plugged it into cruise control for about a dozen different projects and within a day I noticed that the Sonar application got stuck "analysing" a build from more than 24 hours ago and the backlog of non-analysed build grew to over 20.  I tried turning on INFO logging and restarting the process but found nothing informative in the logs.

Anyway, I also monitored some of Sonar's activity in the Oracle database and found a query against a very large table that was being executed many times and was not supported by any index.  After adding an index on RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS.RULE_FAILURE_ID the sonar application quickly caught up on its backlog.

Clearly the size of the RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS table indicates some rules issues in our code  but this is all part of the process towards fixing that.

So, I just wanted to offer this suggestion for a patch / workaround if anyone else gets stuck with a long backlog of un-analysed builds.

Re: Stuck analysing, add index on RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS.RULE_FAILURE_ID

Simon Brandhof-3
Thank you Robin for your feedback. The patch will be applied on the next release :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SONAR-192

Simon

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Robin Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm just getting started with Sonar 1.1 on an Oracle 10g database.  I plugged
it into cruise control for about a dozen different projects and within a day
I noticed that the Sonar application got stuck "analysing" a build from more
than 24 hours ago and the backlog of non-analysed build grew to over 20.  I
tried turning on INFO logging and restarting the process but found nothing
informative in the logs.

Anyway, I also monitored some of Sonar's activity in the Oracle database and
found a query against a very large table that was being executed many times
and was not supported by any index.  After adding an index on
RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS.RULE_FAILURE_ID the sonar application quickly caught up
on its backlog.

Clearly the size of the RULE_FAILURE_PARAMS table indicates some rules
issues in our code :blush: but this is all part of the process towards
fixing that.

So, I just wanted to offer this suggestion for a patch / workaround if
anyone else gets stuck with a long backlog of un-analysed builds.

Simon Brandhof, +41 78 653 09 49
Hortis, Consulting & Innovation team
Sonar , Open Source Quality Dashboard for Java projects
http://sonar.hortis.ch