Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

tlueecke
Hi all,

unfortunately, we are not able to migrate to SonarQube 5 due subversion problems in the new SCM plugin. This worked perfectly fine with the old version for the last year. Now we get the following exception:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The svn blame command [svn blame --xml --non-interactive -x -w <file>] failed: svn: E210002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL '<svn-url>'
svn: E210002: Network connection closed unexpectedly

        at org.sonar.plugins.scm.svn.SvnBlameCommand.blame(SvnBlameCommand.java:105)
        at org.sonar.plugins.scm.svn.SvnBlameCommand.access$000(SvnBlameCommand.java:45)
        at org.sonar.plugins.scm.svn.SvnBlameCommand$1.call(SvnBlameCommand.java:86)
        at org.sonar.plugins.scm.svn.SvnBlameCommand$1.call(SvnBlameCommand.java:83)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Note that this happens indeterministically, i.e. for some modules every thing runs fine, but then at some point, the connection is closed. Executing the above SVN blame command manually on the shell works perfectly fine. My guess is that our Subversion server quits the connection for some reason, but what is different to the old version of the SCM plugin, that it does this now but not before? Do you have any idea?

Thx and brgds,
Tim

Sonarqube version: 5.0
Server: Linux i586 64bit
JDK: 1.8.0_25
DB: Oracle 11g XE

Re: Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

Julien HENRY
Hi Tim,

In the old SCM Activity plugin it was possible to configure the number of parallel thread used to do the blame (default was 4). Can you tell me if you used to have a different value? With the new plugin it is no more configurable and value is Runtime.getRuntime().availableProcessors() + 1. Maybe this is causing too much load on your SVN server?

Could you please monitor your SVN server and see if it is overloaded?

++

Julien

[...]

eajaz
Can some Pls unsubscribe me from this list?

Appreciate it.

Regards
Eajaz

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Julien HENRY <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Julien,

thank you very much for your reply. This could indeed be the problem. We never changed the SCM activity plugin configuration, so the parameter should be 4, but we do have more cores on the server, so we might really put more traffic on the SVN server than it can take. However, monitoring the SVN server will probably be difficult, because it is not under our control. I will see what I can do however.

Apart from this, is it in option to provide such a parameter again for the future, so one can restrict the number of parallel threads? The logic might then be to use the available processors per default, if the parameter is not set.

Brgds,
Tim

Re: Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

Julien HENRY

Apart from this, is it in option to provide such a parameter again for the
future, so one can restrict the number of parallel threads? The logic might
then be to use the available processors per default, if the parameter is not
set.

If we get confirmation that the "hardcoded" value may cause some issues we will certainly re-introduce the parameter. Please let me know the results of your investigation regarding SVN server.

++

Julien

Re: Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

tlueecke
Hi Julien,

as said before monitoring the server is not that easy. I did however patch the core plugin myself and retried the analysis. Without parallel execution (i.e. 1 thread only) it worked. It also did fail with 4 threads, but maybe we did have a different setting in the previous version.

Anyway, it seems to me that this is indeed the source of our problems and we can live with the workaround patch for the moment. It would be great however to have a configurable parameter again in the future.

Brgds,
Tim

Re: Subversion connection problems after migration to SonarQube 5

tlueecke
Thanks for the ticket Julien! In case it helps any, here is the patch with which I introduced the parameter in our system:

sonar-svn-plugin.patch