[sonar-dev] Any existing plugin for attaching a _non_ remedial cost to issues?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
fge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[sonar-dev] Any existing plugin for attaching a _non_ remedial cost to issues?

fge
Hello,

The plugin library doesn't seem to have a plugin like this... In fact,
from what I can see and what I understand of SQALE, neither does the
commercial SQALE plugin.

Does a plugin exist for this? My searches so far didn't turn anything...

Regards,
--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email], https://github.com/fge
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Parsers in pure Java: https://github.com/fge/grappa

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [sonar-dev] Any existing plugin for attaching a _non_ remedial cost to issues?

G. Ann Campbell
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but I think the answer is no.



---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Francis Galiegue <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

The plugin library doesn't seem to have a plugin like this... In fact,
from what I can see and what I understand of SQALE, neither does the
commercial SQALE plugin.

Does a plugin exist for this? My searches so far didn't turn anything...

Regards,
--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email], https://github.com/fge
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Parsers in pure Java: https://github.com/fge/grappa

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



fge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [sonar-dev] Any existing plugin for attaching a _non_ remedial cost to issues?

fge
Hello,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:25 AM, G. Ann Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but I think the
> answer is no.
>

Well, from what I understand of the SQALE method, there are two sides
of the project, one which Sonar does which has to do with remediation
costs (the sum of which is the technical debt), and the other having
to do with non remediation costs (which could be called the "business
impact").

The basic principles are the same: a code quality issue has a business
cost, and an aggretation formula exists to calculate the business
cost.

There are a few differences though:

* The factors of the formula (the variables, that is) differ; they are
not "time to fix", they are... Others.
* As a consequence, a task which has a high technical debt may have a
low business impact, or the reverse.

Which means that if such a plugin does not exist it it has to be coded
pretty much from scratch, that a user have the ability to add business
impact factors, formulas, etc... That could be an interesting
project...

Regards,
--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email], https://github.com/fge
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Parsers in pure Java: https://github.com/fge/grappa

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [sonar-dev] Any existing plugin for attaching a _non_ remedial cost to issues?

G. Ann Campbell
Now I can answer more definitively: this does not exist AFAIK.



---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Francis Galiegue <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:25 AM, G. Ann Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but I think the
> answer is no.
>

Well, from what I understand of the SQALE method, there are two sides
of the project, one which Sonar does which has to do with remediation
costs (the sum of which is the technical debt), and the other having
to do with non remediation costs (which could be called the "business
impact").

The basic principles are the same: a code quality issue has a business
cost, and an aggretation formula exists to calculate the business
cost.

There are a few differences though:

* The factors of the formula (the variables, that is) differ; they are
not "time to fix", they are... Others.
* As a consequence, a task which has a high technical debt may have a
low business impact, or the reverse.

Which means that if such a plugin does not exist it it has to be coded
pretty much from scratch, that a user have the ability to add business
impact factors, formulas, etc... That could be an interesting
project...

Regards,
--
Francis Galiegue, [hidden email], https://github.com/fge
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com
Parsers in pure Java: https://github.com/fge/grappa

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email