[sonar-dev] End of Support of source viewer extensions

[sonar-dev] End of Support of source viewer extensions

Alexandre Vázquez
Hi everybody,

I'm working on several SonarQube plugins that use graphical representation of the code we are analyzing, Looking through the GitHub repository I'm scared about the comments I could see insiode the source code and in the following JIRA's:

Is it true that in the new following version, 5.1, there will not be any way to create a customize source code viewer? Or you will be only deprecated the Ruby way to do this kind of extend and you will provide another way to meet that goal?

Thanks for your help and your support!

It's a great work done in this amazing application!!

It's a great work done in this amazing application!!

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: End of Support of source viewer extensions

Simon Brandhof
Hi Alexandre,

First of all sorry for the delay.
Indeed support of custom source viewers was dropped in 5.1. Main reasons are :
  • end of JRuby stack is targeted for next LTS version (5.4), for many reasons that do not need to be listed here.
  • usually implementations of this extension point are hacks, probably because of the first point
  • usually implementations of this extension point are functionally not related to quality analysis
  • some implementations try to mimic source viewer for adding more information. Result is never up-to-date according to the improvements done on the core source viewer.
  • display of all measures is natively supported in 5.1. This feature was provided previously by the tab metrics plugin.
  • implementing a JS-based extension point is not straightforward as it should not have any side-effects on stability of core source viewer
Before bringing back this extension point, we want to be sure of the value for the platform.

Regards

On 23 February 2015 at 10:28, Alexandre Vázquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any follow-up in this topic?

Thanks!

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Alexandre Vázquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm working on several SonarQube plugins that use graphical representation of the code we are analyzing, Looking through the GitHub repository I'm scared about the comments I could see insiode the source code and in the following JIRA's:

Is it true that in the new following version, 5.1, there will not be any way to create a customize source code viewer? Or you will be only deprecated the Ruby way to do this kind of extend and you will provide another way to meet that goal?

Thanks for your help and your support!

It's a great work done in this amazing application!!

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: End of Support of source viewer extensions

Jose Palmera
Hi, Simon.

Regarding Alex question, I am curious about your point (4). I am putting our current example on the table.

We develop a lot of SVG code, and we find it very useful to check with SonarQUBE about structural behavior of this SVG. We have developed a simple view with ruby to see the SVG in graphical way (like a picture), apart from the code view. That is because most of our developers use a graphical tool for designing them.

If we have to throw this view out, probably the tool may be useless to most of our developers, so we should think about any other alternative.

I know this use is maybe not the expected at the beginning of the project, but as SonarQUBE is so great in QA, we think it will be worth to have it.

Regards.

Re: [sonar-dev] Re: End of Support of source viewer extensions

Simon Brandhof

We develop a lot of SVG code, and we find it very useful to check with SonarQUBE about structural behavior of this SVG. We have developed a simple view with ruby to see the SVG in graphical way (like a picture), apart from the code view. That is because most of our developers use a graphical tool for designing them.

My point 4 was about clones of source viewer: line id, author, source code and new additional information.
Nevertheless your use-case is valid. We will discuss this point again internally.

Thanks for your feedback

RE: [sonar-dev] Re: End of Support of source viewer extensions

Jose Palmera
Hi.

It seems that the internal discussion has not led to an alternative in 5.1. With the current version, our visual layout is totally out of work, so from now on we are starting our research to find an alternative to sonarqube for our current quality checks. If we don't have any way to continue working short-term through our current sonarqube plugin, we will be forced to move to that alternative (to be selected) and tell our customers to move too.

Many thanks.

Jose