[sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

[sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

RadoBuransky
Hi guys,

I've just finished coding of the first version of Sonar plugin for Scoverage which is a tool to measure statement coverage for Scala programs. The plugin source codes are here:

Plugin binaries are here:

I would like to add this plugin to the list of standard Sonar plugins and I think I need your votes.

Thanks a lot

Rado Buransky

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

Patroklos Papapetrou
Hi Rado
I'm not a member of SonarSource dev team but my first thought about this is : Why didn't you create pull requests to integrate this feature in the upcoming scala-plugin? https://github.com/SonarCommunity/sonar-scala
Apart from that. before you start a vote there are some prerequisites as described here : http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Releasing+a+Plugin

So,my suggestion is : First of all describe how the plugin works, if it uses external tools, what metrics are computed etc. After this step you'll get some feedback about the plugin and you can continue about the next steps.

Rado Buransky

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

RadoBuransky
Hi Patroklos,

I didn't integrate it with the Scala plugin by intention. Firstly the plugin already has an extension for code coverage and secondly it doesn't seem to me a good idea to group a lot of extensions into one big plugin. Plugins are by design meant to be modular so that users can decide which one to use.

I'll try to fulfull all prerequisites in the document. Regarding documentation for the plugin I believe that the readme file on GitHub contains enough: https://github.com/RadoBuransky/sonar-scoverage-plugin

Thanks a lot

Rado

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Patroklos Papapetrou [via SonarQube] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://sonarqube.15.x6.nabble.com/sonar-dev-VOTE-Scala-code-coverage-plugin-tp5021945p5021971.html
To start a new topic under SonarQube Developers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SonarQube Developers, click here.
NAML

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

RadoBuransky
After reading this (Sharing an existing plugin) ...

... I think that somebody has to create Jenkins job. Thanks for help

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Rado Buranský <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Marich
We are going to eventually remove the checkstyle plugin dependency from the scala plugin, and we are debating if we want to force the use of the scoverage plugin on users.

Normally we would leave the choice of coverage tool up to the developers, however there are a number of flaky implementations of scala coverage tools (forks of scct), as well as many people using inappropriate java-based tools, that I am thinking of forcing the plugin to work with scoverage out-of-the-box.

Our organization has contributed to the sonar scala plugin, and are working first on accurate coverage numbers. I originally wired in checkstyle as the coverage metrics source, but after using it for a while we are seeing cracks in the capabilities of the line-coverage paradigm. We have contributed time to improving scoverage, and now the sonar scoverage plugin. Once we are happy with those two working together, we will make the call on what to do with the scala plugin.

Thanks,
Mike Marich

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM, RadoBuransky <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from the SonarQube Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--

Mike Marich
Engineering Manager, West Coast

Join YachtWorld.com/social-media
Join Boats.com/social-media

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

sksamuel
Hi guys,

"Why didn't you create pull requests to integrate this feature in the upcoming scala-plugin? https://github.com/SonarCommunity/sonar-scala "

Because the plugin has had 20 commits over the past year, I think we can consider it a work in progress. Rado has contributed a fully working plugin that people can use `now` and that gives great results. I think it would be a great addition to the sonar family. I know from conversations at Goldman Sachs that we need a sonar plugin. Please consider this a massive YES vote to creating this as an official plugin.

I really hope that we're not back in the same place in a years time talking about the "upcoming" scala plugin that will contain x,y,z when we have something ready and good now.

"We are going to eventually remove the checkstyle plugin dependency from the scala plugin, and we are debating if we want to force the use of the scoverage plugin on users.

Normally we would leave the choice of coverage tool up to the developers, however there are a number of flaky implementations of scala coverage tools (forks of scct), as well as many people using inappropriate java-based tools, that I am thinking of forcing the plugin to work with scoverage out-of-the-box."

These are good points. In Java land you let people choose, although as you say, in Scala land your options are 100 forks of SCCT that are all basically the same. Perhaps default to scoverage with some option to change, should should an option materialize.

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

RadoBuransky
No votes yet?

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

mmarich

You have mine =)

On 2014-02-22 7:39 PM, "RadoBuransky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No votes yet?

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

sksamuel
100% + vote.

Also note that SCCT is now discontinued leaving scoverage as the only scala code coverage tool under active development, and that Rado has a plugin ready to go, we should be putting this out ASAP.

You have mine =)

On 2014-02-22 7:39 PM, "RadoBuransky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
No votes yet?

Fwd: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

mmarich
Sonar devs: we really want to get this plugin released. There are going to be some major changes to the Scala plugin once we get the Scoverage one released.

Can we please get some movement on this?

Thanks,
Mike

Rado Buransky

Re: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

G. Ann Campbell
Sorry to be late to the party, guys.

I'm a little confused why you're trying to release this dependent plugin before releasing the primary language plugin. It's a bit cart-before-the-horse, and you're really going to need to get Scala released first.

Since Scala hasn't been officially released yet, I wouldn't worry about making changes to the language plugin that require this un-released coverage plugin, because officially no one's using the Scala plugin.

Additionally, as Patroklos pointed out, even after Scala is released, there are some preliminaries you need to meet for this plugin which simply have not been met. I'll echo him in pointing you to the wiki:

Thanks for your understanding

G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource

Re: Fwd: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

henry
mmarich wrote
Can we please get some movement on this?
If anyone would like to use sonar with scala we've put together a plugin that wraps up ScalaStyle. You should be able to use it in combination with Rado's scoverage plugin.

https://github.com/NCR-CoDE/sonar-scalastyle

We've not cut an official release yet, but the snapshot is in a working state.

Henry

Re: Fwd: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

G. Ann Campbell
Hi Henry,

I'm confused. Are you calling a vote on the sonar-scalastyle plugin? If so, it would be helpful to do so in a new thread. But first, there are some preliminaries that should be attended to.

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM, henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
mmarich wrote
> Can we please get some movement on this?

If anyone would like to use sonar with scala we've put together a plugin
that wraps up ScalaStyle. You should be able to use it in combination with
Rado's scoverage plugin.

https://github.com/NCR-CoDE/sonar-scalastyle

We've not cut an official release yet, but the snapshot is in a working
state.

Henry

Re: Fwd: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

mmarich
Hi guys,

Sorry but I've been crazy busy as of late.

I am about 50/50 on how to go about releasing the actual Scala plugin - remove the old scct plugin as well as the cobertura plugin, and ship it naked, or bundle in the proper associated plugins and use them to set the standard for scala analysis. Choice is great, but if we have good tools, I would like to see us adopt and support them.

Rado, I know your thoughts on this, but what does everyone else say?

Thanks,
Mike

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM, G. Ann Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Henry,

I'm confused. Are you calling a vote on the sonar-scalastyle plugin? If so, it would be helpful to do so in a new thread. But first, there are some preliminaries that should be attended to.

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM, henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
mmarich wrote
> Can we please get some movement on this?

If anyone would like to use sonar with scala we've put together a plugin
that wraps up ScalaStyle. You should be able to use it in combination with
Rado's scoverage plugin.

https://github.com/NCR-CoDE/sonar-scalastyle

We've not cut an official release yet, but the snapshot is in a working
state.

Henry

Re: Fwd: [sonar-dev] [VOTE] Scala code coverage plugin

henry
mmarich wrote
Rado, I know your thoughts on this, but what does everyone else say?
I'd vote for your "ship it naked" option. The tools for scala evolve and change quite quickly, so the model suggested by Rado of a small stable core scala plugin that other plugins can build on makes sense.

Henry