[sonar-dev] Writing Sonar plugin in Groovy

[sonar-dev] Writing Sonar plugin in Groovy

Marcin Zajączkowski
Hi. I'm thinking about writing a plugin for Sonar which would heavily
work with XML/JSON files. It is much easier to write it in Groovy than
in Java. I've seen that Groovy plugin itself in written in Java, but due
to CodeNarc and GMetrics it depends on groovy.jar. As I read in
documentation plugin classloaders are isolated and my Groovy dependency
shouldn't impact on other plugins.

I wonder if there could be any other Groovy related problems?

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: [sonar-dev] Writing Sonar plugin in Groovy

Simon Brandhof
Hi Marcin,

As you said plugin classloaders are isolated, so it should not be a problem to embed groovy. Just be careful of the jar size. If it's too big it will be long to download when analyzing projects the first time. Note that on versions prior to 3.5, JAR files of plugins are downloaded on every analysis, so it can be a real issue.
I'm looking forward to have your feedback.

Regards
Simon

On 28 May 2013 23:46, Marcin Zajączkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi. I'm thinking about writing a plugin for Sonar which would heavily
work with XML/JSON files. It is much easier to write it in Groovy than
in Java. I've seen that Groovy plugin itself in written in Java, but due
to CodeNarc and GMetrics it depends on groovy.jar. As I read in
documentation plugin classloaders are isolated and my Groovy dependency
shouldn't impact on other plugins.

I wonder if there could be any other Groovy related problems?

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Simon BRANDHOF | SonarSource